Trust and Obey

There has been a lot of buzz around the blogosphere regarding this challenge for married women.

I grew up influenced by my very liberal grandmother.  She has a PhD in political science and has experienced a great deal of success and advancement in her career.  I love and respect her for that.  And I was led astray by many of the things she taught me.

I myself am a college educated, consider myself semi intelligent, human being.

And yet I believe that I should *gasp* submit to my husband’s authority.

I had to learn God’s intention for this word, this concept.  I had to learn why it is important enough to be in His word.  I had to learn that God doesn’t want anything but the best for His children and His design for marriage is perfect.

I submit to my husband’s authority in our marriage. Me (Miss Opinionated, headstrong, Type A personality, slight tendency to be controlling) Me.  If I can wrap my brain and heart around this, you can too!

It hasn’t always been that way for us but things have been so much better and sweeter between us since we both started living our marriage by God’s design.

I want to take the time to type some verses in their entire context:

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.  For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which He is the Savior.  Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.  In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies.  He who loves his wife loves himself.  After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church–for we are members of his body.  For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.  This is a profound mystery–but I am talking about Christ and the church.  However, each one of you must love his wife as he loves himself and the wife must respect her husband.  Ephesians 5:22-33  (emphasis mine)

I love, respect, submit, trust and obey my husband.  And to me that is a finer thing.

Excuse me, I have a challenge to join!

12 Responses to Trust and Obey

1. Debbie says:

Isn't it interesting that the Scripture instructs the husband to love his wife. I think it's easier for us women to love. But it also says the wife must RESPECT her husband. I think women have a harder time with that. Men crave respect and recognition and I see that often lacking in even Christian married couples. I know when I look for things about my husband and mention it to Greg, he loves it and I find he loves me more.

I agree. Although I grew up during a time of rebellion in the '60's, I believe we are to trust and obey what God says. And that includes submitting to my husband. He is going to be held accountable to God.

Interesting and thought provoking post today; loved it.

Blessings,
    Debbie

• Melissa says:

thanks Debbie! I do think God designed us to have to work at
      loving/respecting our spouses..how else could we ever truly understand how
      unloveable and in need of grace we all are? Have a great weekend!

2. JessieLeigh says:

I think I spent many years in high school and college feeling feisty and independent and strong and almost threatened by even the idea of “submission”… I am not 100% at submitting to my husband all the time. I know I challenge his ideas sometimes. But I've definitely come to completely rethink my role in the relationship and embrace submission, respect, and obedience. I will honor that man all my days… I am so blessed to be his wife!

• Melissa says:

that is beautiful! And in my opinion, which is all this is, it is okay to
      challenge his ideas and certainly to give your opinion and preference, but
      ultimately defer to his judgement in the end. Thanks for commenting!

3. Melissa you already know that I agree totally with what the Bible says about submission. I posted about the topic on my old blog but felt the need to revisit the topic as a result of the comment I read on BlogFrog concerning this challenge. I challenge myself daily in many of the ways spoken about in the challenge. Through my personal study of Godly submission, I've learned that submitting to my husband has less to do with him and more to do with my relationship to Christ.

Like Debbie said “…it's easier for us women to love”. Which is why it was not commanded of us. Commanding a women to love her man with all of her heart is like asking her to breath.

But to ask her to SUBMIT TO and RESPECT her husband….is a whole different animal. Women do have a harder time respecting her husbands authority over her life because it is so contrary to the way we've learned to look at men. They are not there to persecute us with the authority given to them but to protect us.

When I talk to women about submitting to their husbands I always wonder this. If he was good enough to pursue, good enough to marry, good enough to bear his children, then why is he not worthy of being the king of your family? Why is he not worthy of your submission?

It all boils down to each woman's individual relationship with God. If a women can't submit to a husband that she can see, how can she submit to a God that she can't see?

This topic has been one of great discussion for years and will be for years to come.

Saidah @ A Proverbs Wife

• Melissa says:

what a great word, Saidah! I especially love the questions- if was good
      enough to pursue, etc why isn't he worthy enough to be king of your home?
      So true…and as you know I completely agree with you that submission is
      about our relationship with Christ. How can we ever submit to a man if we
      have not submitted our lives to The Man- which is why I also think it is so
      difficult for unbelievers to understand and respect the concept.

4. Great post! And I am with you. I am typically a leader in every sphere of life – except when it comes to home! That is where my man takes the lead. I am thankful to have a man strong enough to lovingly lead me!!
    Keep walking with the King!
    Courtney

5. Kim says:

Thanks for your comments & your prayers. I'm looking forward to the challenge as well! Have a great weekend! Kim

6. Gertha says:

Thank you for visiting my blog:-)!! I'm looking forward to the challenge as well. Thank you for your prayers and I will pray for you as well. Nice to meet you!

7. Jenna says:

I'm so glad I came across your blog….

I love this:
    “What is sooo scary about having your husband love you, as much as Christ loves the church, and you respecting your husband? “

its so true… i don't understand why people think its such a crazy thing to joyfully submit to your husband's authority over you… i wouldn't have it any other way!

blessings,