Steps toward a natural lifestyle

Part of a parterre in an English garden. Photo...
Image via Wikipedia

I haven’t liked getting my hands dirty since I was a little girl.  Gardening? Yuck!  I even mix meatloaf with a spoon.  Up until recently, I didn’t like to get anything under my french manicured nails (did you know all the chemicals in acrylic nails?  I do now and haven’t had them on in four months).

In 2008 things changed.  I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and nearly lost my life to a pulmonary embolism (that turned out to be related to a clotting disorder and systemic lupus).

I started looking at life and health a lot differently.  I discovered that I was deficient in several (important) vitamins and minerals.  In order to live my best life and insure that I am around to watch my kids grow up, I needed to change the way I viewed the world.

I started reading books on alternative medicine, diet and natural living.

And we started making changes as a family.  In the last two years we have switched to whole grains, gotten rid of artificial sweeteners, drastically reduced our red meat intake, and started paying attention to the ingredients on the foods and other products we buy.  We use natural cleaning products.  Many times I clean my kitchen with a simple vinegar and water mixture.

I take vitamin D, vitamin b12 injections, I have visited acupuncturists, I exercise, I drink lots of water and everyday I take more baby steps towards a natural, healthy lifestyle.

The hubby and I are even planting a small produce garden this year (I have pretty pink gardening gloves, in case you were wondering).

I know that taking control of my health and our quality of life is achievable.  And it is companies like Seed that inspire me to keep moving forward.  One baby step at a time, towards the best life possible.

This post is my entry to the Seed BlogHer ’10 sponsorship contest and is posted at Hip As I Wanna Be.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

12 Responses to Steps toward a natural lifestyle

1. Prerna says:

Wow.. Love living naturally.. In fact, vinegar-water is my cleaner of choice for pretty much everything as I've often shared on my blog.. Also, am thrilled that you've made this change since it will have a real positive impact on your kids as well.
    Blessings and best wishes always..

2. carissa says:

good for you! can't wait to hear more about your produce garden! you better post pics! : )

3. alfecia says:

Good for you my friend! I am trying. It is a slow process. But l know the benefits will far outweigh the sacrifices. Thanks for being an inspiration!

4. We are on the slow journey to a healthier household too. I buy natural cleaning products, use cloth diapers, and buy healthier, whole foods as much as I can. I would love to plant a garden, but I have never done it and have no idea how to get started.

5. TheProfessionalFamilyManager says:

I've had some health issues lately as well and have been working to make everything our family eats to be whole, healthy food. I'm not big on subscribing to a particular type of “diet” per se, but one series of books I've really enjoyed and found to be very helpful is Tosca Reno's “Eat Clean” series. She's a person who loves to cook, so she has some cookbooks with recipes that have a LOT of great flavor and are completely devoid of bad fats, sugars, etc. I also like that most of the recipes can be modified easily for allergy considerations (my husband is allergic to a lot of foods), and that many of the whole food ingredients are not expensive, exotic things. Sometimes eating healthy is hard to do when you're on a budget.

I'm doing B12 injections too. They've made such a difference in how I feel.

• Melissa says:

I will have to check that out! Eating healthy is hard on a budget, which is
      one of the reasons I am going to give gardening a try this year (heaven help
      me LOL)

6. Selena says:

I just found your blog. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in July and it's turned our world upside down. I'm inspired that you're so tired but keep going. We are also planting our first garden this year – Lord help us too since my hubby will have to do most of the work. We just googled everything too and were surprised when the seedlings came up. We're going to plant outside this weekend. We'll see what happens!

7. Tiffany says:

I loved reading this and learning about your journey. I am going to attempt my first garden this summer. I need to get a pair of those pink garden gloves!

8. OriginalCouponCoach says:

I'm trying to be much more natural and healthier. There are times when Doritos make their way back in (I'm such a junk food addict), but I try really hard. And I use Vinegar to clean tons of stuff too! I don't think I ever use store bough cleaners anymore =) Saves money and is much better for everyone!