Balance, goals and all that

chores
Image by Ro / wererabbit via Flickr

There have been a flurry of posts about New Year’s resolutions, goals, etc.  Many women have been feeling the need to balance it all (particularly those of us that blog/work from home).  While I by no means have the market cornered in work/life balance, I have come a long way from when I first started working from home and thinking that I could do everything, be everything to everyone and have the Martha Stewart model home.

So I wanted to share the biblical model of the Proverbs 31 woman and let you in on a little secret:

Balance is a myth!

God presented us with a pretty tough act to follow in the Proverbs 31 woman, can I get an amen?  Have you ever taken the time to look at her and study her closely?  The Bible does not say she accomplishes all those things in one day or perfectly (which is what I think many of us mean when we say we want balance.  We want to be able to do it all!)

If we take a closer look at the Proverbs 31 we will notice that she does make good choices about how she spends her time and she operates according to her priorities.

• She is purposeful about bringing good to her family through the use of her time, skills and energy.
  • She plans ahead and is efficient.  She is prepared for tough times.
  • She makes her husband and children feel loved and cared for.
  • She is giving, warm and compassionate.

Those are all great attributes that I would venture to guess many of us employ in our own family life?  So, why do we feel like all we do is not good enough?  That we need to be better? Do more?

The Proverbs 31 woman was a force to be reckoned with.

Guess what?  So are you!!

Instead of holding her up as a measuring stick of all that you are NOT, how about noticing the things you are doing right in 2010?

• Do you intend to bring good and not harm to your family?
  • Do you work hard to provide them with a clean home (notice I didn’t say perfectly organized and spotless) and healthy meals?
  • Do you take the time to laugh with your kids, knowing that these moments are important and having you as their mom is what is truly important?
  • Do you love Jesus?

If you answered yes to these questions then, my friend, you are doing a great job.

Our husbands and children may not feel like arising and calling us blessed every moment of every day- that’s okay.  We are flawed, sinful human beings.  God and God alone provides the strength to be the woman He calls us to be.  It will not come through striving or trying harder.  It will only come through submitting and relinquishing control to the One whom is to be praised.

What is your point, Melissa? I want women to cut themselves some slack.  There are strategies to employ that can make life easier (and we will discuss those in the days to come), that can help you get on track with organization and time management but more importantly, there is a users manual (The Bible) that beckons you this year.  I promise that the more time you spend in the Word the more the other areas of your life will fall into place.

That is truly a finer thing!

This post is linked at Run The Earth, Watch The Sky, Kelly’s Korner and Amy’s Finer Things.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

18 Responses to Balance, goals and all that

1. Teri Lynne says:

EXCELLENT! WONDERFUL! TRUE!! And thank you, my friend. I needed to read this today. What a blessing you are to me and so many others. Thank you for linking with us today … but more than that, thank you for being faithful to share every day the beautiful truth of God’s design for our lives. I cannot wait to give you a hug at She Speaks!!

2. admin says:

Thank you TeriLynne…I love to be able to write about a topic I am passionate about =)

3. So. true!!

Thank you for linking this up – I think so many of us need this reminder.

I’ve been thinking so much lately that I have 24 hours a day, just like every other human being that has ever walked the earth. I don’t just want them to be scheduled and packed full and busy – I want those 24 hours to be spent on what COUNTS. Which means I CAN’T be all things to all people, I have to focus my time and efforts.

4. Wendy says:

You are so right! The Proverbs 31 woman isn’t about doing everything perfectly all at the same time (and in high heels, no less…June Cleaver anyone?) She’s about making good choices and prioritizing. Thank you for such an awesome post (and very timely reminder). I needed this today!

5. Amy Lynne says:

Thanks for the reminder!

6. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jo-Lynne, Wendy. Wendy said: Awesome post! RT @multitaskingme: Is balance a myth? I think so! http://bit.ly/5jD0bR […]

7. SheilaG says:

You’re so right!

I read recently that people who strive to have balance actually defeat themselves. It’s better to work to your strengths, and leave the stuff that you don’t do well to someone else anyway. We have strengths and gifts for a reason; when we don’t work to them, we actually undermine ourselves.

That’s freed me up a lot in my house. I know that I will never be a perfect housewife, and that’s okay. But I cook really well, and we love our family dinners. So as long as I can get the house organized enough that we can eat dinner peacefully, I’m good. I don’t have to have it spotless.

Thanks for posting this!

Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

8. Brooke says:

I love that! Focusing on what we do right more is so hard, but I truly want to see myself the way God sees me and then act like I know who I am! Daughter of the King! Thanks so much!

9. Just Playin' says:

I’ve always tried to have balance and I do a pretty good job. I know I am fortunate. I get upset when things don’t go right though. I guess everybody does. Thanks.

10. Thanks, Melissa! I’ve certainly got some goals to accomplish this year, but this post helps me put it all in perspective.

11. […] {Xmas Laughs}18. Prudent and Practical {New Year’s Recipe}19. Kim @ Art Of Domestic Living20. Melissa Multitasking Mama 21. Family Balance Sheet (Making The Most of Our ‘Small’ […]

12. Melissa says:

You’ve hit the nail on the head. I think you’re right that, when we say we want to find balance, we mean that we want to do it all!

I have something for you at my blog:

13. Alyssa says:

So true, I have felt a desire to study Proverbs 31 this year and this FreshYearFreshStart that so many ladies online are doing is such an encouragement. I am trying to “BALANCE” but what I mean is spend more time with my family and just quality time online instead of so much “quantity” time online. You know that’s a constant struggle. BLessings to you!

14. This is so true! I’m reading the Bible in 90 days right now. Felt like I needed to sort of press the “reset” button on my Bible reading, and thought that was a great way to start the year!

15. Sandra says:

What an encouragement! Thanks for your honest words about balance and what that may look like in our individual lives!

16. Yayaorangenanny says:

I'll have a lot of transitioning to do this year with bringing our son Alex home. I hope I can do it justice!

17. […] Melissa Multi Tasking Mama (balance and all that) […]