Wifey Wednesday- Are you Careless?

Today’s Wifey Wednesday topic is about avoiding becoming careless in your marriage. As someone who has been married for over eleven years, has two tweens and a bonus teen, and is a natural born multi-tasker- I speak with firsthand knowledge that you have to be intentional about keeping your marriage alive. The enemy uses our busyness, active lifestyles, careers, friendships (all good things) against us if we allow ourselves to become careless.

Proverbs 4:23 says

“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life”.

Are you guarding your heart when it comes to your marriage? Are you making sure that the hustle and bustle of everyday life does not keep you from maintaining an ongoing connection with your spouse? Do you know how his day was? Do you care?

Do you guard your heart regarding what you watch on TV? listen to on the radio? read on the internet? Do you focus on only allowing your heart to be exposed to positive, uplifting portrayals of marriage? Do you

“put away perversity from your mouth and keep corrupt talk from your lips?” Proverbs 4:24

Do you intentionally let your spouse know how much you care and how important it is to you to have them in your life?

If you are struggling with any of these things you are not alone, but your marriage is vulnerable. No one is insulated from divorce, affairs, temptation and emotional detachment. Being a Christian does not automatically mean your marriage is any safer than a non-believers.

So, please(I am watching a marriage in my family fall apart) guard your heart, your love for your spouse and your relationship. Invite God in as the third person in your relationship and make a commitment to guard your hearts for life!

Comments

1. Auntie E says:

What a good post. I have been married for 32 years. Up and Downs( More Ups). Have a teenager. Finding time just for Hubby and I is sometimes hard. But,important to keep the marriage healthy. People grow apart so easily.Just making time for dinner together as family and one hour a day for just adults to talk is wonderful. Sometimes the morning works for Hubby and I. Coffee time together.After teen leaves for school,or before she gets up.

2. Melissa, this is an amazing amazing post. We’re about to celebrate our 20th which is amazing since we had a period where we coexisted more than shared our lives. We learned firsthand about the things you mentioned and now fiercely guard against them.

You’re pretty young to be so wise and smart! You rock!

3. Domestically Sassy! says:

Very Well said…and soooo True!!

4. What a great reminder for me!! It’s so easy to take marriage for granted. The enemy will use anything or anyone to cause division and break up a Christian family!!

5. Great reminder!! It is so easy to slip into a rut. Marriage is always something to be working on.

That was awesome and something I totally need to be reminded of…often.

7. Eyeglasses & Endzones says:

Great post! My husband and I just watched Fireproof together today. I totally hear you on working on a marriage!!!

8. Jen @ Sunshine4Teachers says:

Wow, this post really touched me. Thank you.

9. beautiful post. I linked here from the UBP 09 and love this post of yours.